March 04, 2011

Update: A year later

It's been a year since I went back to work after cancer treatments, and almost 2 years since I went crazy with the anti-toxin issue. Researching an writing this blog was fine when I wasn't working, but keeping it up and working full time is practically impossible. I go to bed at 8pm, no kidding. Regardless, I'm still learning, and sharing what I know. I've convinced many friends to stop heating up lunched in plastic containers, and changing their baby's bottles to bpa-free alternatives. Many people have asked about my cosmetic and soap products and have tried them. I like knowing that I'm educating people, but whether they change their habits or not is up to them. At least, they know more now about toxins and xeno-estrogens, and their impact on our health.

As for me, I'm healthy, but my estrogen levels are still 3 times the norm. After all the phtalates and bpa I've eliminated in my life, it seems I am a natural estrogen-making machine. Good for my skin and my figure, bad for chances of recurrence. I won't worry about it though, since I can only control what I can --my exposure to toxins. So, 2 years later:

1. I use only toxin-free cosmetics and body products: Right now, Dr Bronner is the product of choice. We use it as hand soap, shampoo, body soap and face cleanser. Why would we need a different type of product on our face? It's the same skin we have everywhere else. What a great example of a made-up need. I still love Bare Organics and Rocky Mountain Soap Company, which I alternate with Dr Bronner.
In the bath I use baking soda just like my mother used to. It does a nice job of softening the water. If I rather have bath oil, I go down to the kitchen to get the olive oil since there is no such thing as bath oil. Oil is oil. Same with bath salts. Kitchen sea salt does the trick. And again, same with lotions. If I need to hydrate my skin, what does a better job then oil? At least I know what's going on and in my skin: Olives. I'm ok with that.

2. I don't use any plastic to store food. Many people ask me how we store food in the refrigerator or heat in the microwave. As simple as a plate with a bowl on top, or vise versa. For packed lunches, we use stainless steel containers and mason jars. Freezing is trickier -I keep breaking the jars, so I'm working on it. I'm still looking for waterproof organic cotton envelops or bags for sandwiches and snacks. I might have to make them myself.

3. I use only natural cleaning products, or vinegar and baking soda. I prefer having bacteria than chemicals in my house. It's a choice and believe me, everything is antibacterial now, even your underwear. A shame we are so triclosan-crazy now since it's proven that kids exposed to certain bacteria before the age of 2 are less likely to die from that bacteria as an elder.

4. I don't use pesticides on my lawn (no fertilizer either -why would I want the damn thing to grow faster?) and I buy the dirty dozen in the organic section or at least locally grown: apples, grapes, peppers, celery, peaches, and all other thin skinned fruit and vegetables. I don't worry about bananas, mangoes, pineapples, oranges, etc. I also stay away from produce that is not in season. I will never buy huge January strawberries. In winter, we eat Caribbean fruit; it isn't local but it is in season. It's fun the learn your location's growing season. In Ottawa, we have asparagus in May, strawberries in June, raspberries in July, blueberries and peaches in August, apples and potatoes in September, root vegetables in the fall.

5. We buy only local, hormone and antibiotic-free meat. We go to our local butcher/farmer who told us they "don't have the money for that fancy hormone thing", and we bought a quarter cow from La Ferme du Vallon Highlands, from someone we know who raises cows in summer. I know my cow was raised with respect and on milk and grass, as all cows should.

6. My house smells of nothing. Not of fabric softener (the devil incarnated and another made-up need), not of air fresheners or plug-ins, nothing. In fact, I don't use anything that has the word "fragrance" as an ingredient.

It was difficult at first, but once we got used to the change, it made sense. I feel good about protecting myself and my family, and I'm saving money too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Next Up

Saving money and living with less