August 29, 2009

Introduction

While I attended university, I worked in a bath product store that set itself apart with “natural” products. I remember explaining to customers that Sodium Laureth Sulfate was simply the foaming agent in shampoos and shower gels. Little did I know that it’s a potential carcinogen. I remember my friend, a product developer for the company, telling me about her frustrating experiences developing a new bath milk. The chemist wasn’t getting the base formula quite as she wanted it, then her mother the naturopath suggested using, what else, powdered milk…

A few years ago, another friend told me about the harmful chemicals in cosmetics and hygiene products. The only knowledge I had at the time was how aluminum in deodorant was linked to memory loss and Alzheimer’s disease. What I learned was enough to make me ditch most of my products overnight. I hated thinking of the toxins my 3 year old daughter had been absorbing every day since gestation. During the following year, my cleaning products and fabric softeners were next to go, then lawn pesticides, then plastics #7. I started eating more organic fruit and vegetables. Then I found out I had cancer.

The past year has been all about surviving. You can read MyCWord blog if you’re interested in knowing more. Now that I’m in remission, I’m on a mission to protect myself and my loved ones from becoming victims of this disease, which 1 in 3 people will develop in their lifetime. You’re wondering why breast and prostate cancer instances are out of proportion? Simple: they're fed by hormones like estrogen present in our surroundings –in our food, in our tools, in our products. I started thinking of what we consume in a day and how it’s part of the cycle that’s making us unhealthy. I’ve always been a big recycler and thrifter, but I want to do more. I want to break out of the nasty cycle, free myself of fake needs, be more self sustainable and ultimately, live a simpler, healthier life. These are some of the many facts I'm learning and realizations I’m having that I wish to share. I hope you’ll comment and share what you know too.

2 comments:

  1. Bonjour Angèle,

    I remember that store you worked at! Galerie de Hull right?

    Look forward to reading what you find since I'm interested in all that stuff as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Alzheimer Society of Canada has some comments about aluminum. In short, there is little evidence that aluminum plays a part in the disease or it being a risk factor for the disease.
    ref http://www.alzheimer.ca/english/disease/causes-alumi.htm

    ReplyDelete

Next Up

Saving money and living with less